Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ambush

What is the difference between Maurice Clemmons, who ambushed four police officers at a coffee shop in Washington, and Major Nidal Malik Hasan, who ambushed dozens of military officers at Ft. Hood?

They are both examples of how untreated mental illness can cause violence, but Clemmons was Christian and Hasan was Muslim.

That’s about it.

I only point this out because no one is talking about terrorism in the Clemmons incident. Did Clemmons incite terror into the hearts and minds of the baristas at the coffee shop and the people living in the surrounding neighborhood? He sure did.

Why isn't Clemmons called a terrorist? Can it be because he is a Christian and attacked, presumably, fellow Christians?

Terrorists incite terror...but can you really call either one of them terrorists? Weren't they terrorized by their own thoughts?

I am not an expert. I can only draw on my interaction with my brother Paul, who suffered, and I mean SUFFERED, with schizophrenia for 33 years. But neither one of them had a real agenda, in my opinion. They were just acting out based on their own fears of what was going on in the world. Yes, they used violence, but that brings me back to the point that untreated mental illness can cause violence.

If you don't believe me, read this...

Maurice Clemmons: Mental Illness Does Cause Violence:

No comments:

Post a Comment